Criteria to Participate in the Sunshine Foundation Dream Programs
Who We Help
Sunshine Foundation may fulfill the dreams of children severely affected by a chronic illness or physical disability, or abuse. These diagnoses include, but are not limited to, the following:
Cerebral Palsy Trauma from Abuse
Down Syndrome Osteogenesis Imperfecta
Spina Bifida Blind
Low-Functioning Autism Deaf
Hydrocephalus Spastic Quadriplegia
Muscular Dystrophy Prader-Willi Syndrome
Severe Epilepsy Eosinophilic Esophagitis
Sickle Cell Disease * And Many Others
How to Refer a Child
PLEASE NOTE: ANYONE CAN REFER A CHILD, however, before referring a child to Sunshine Foundation you must have permission from the child’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s).
Criteria to Refer a Child:
- Child must between the ages of 3-18.
- Child must be seriously ill, chronically ill, physically challenged, severe developmentally delayed or abused.
- Child must be a citizen of the United States
- Child must not have had a dream or wish through Sunshine Foundation or any other organization or any other source. Sunshine Foundation grants ONE DREAM PER FAMILY.
- Family’s household’s income (including all adults over the age of 18 who reside in the household) is under $75,000 annually. Sunshine Foundation’s sole purpose is to answer the dreams of chronically ill, seriously ill, physically challenged and abused children whose families cannot fulfill their requests due to the financial strain that the child’s illness may cause.
- Sunshine Foundation is unable to consider dreams for children with Deficit Disorders (ADHD, OCD, etc.), mild to moderate: autism spectrum disorder, developmental delays, or other mild to moderate chronic illnesses and/or diagnoses.
- If your child s diagnosed with LOW FUNCTIONING AUTISM, we will require a copy of medical finding from child’s neurologist and psychologist, and a copy of your child’s IQ test results.
- Sunshine Foundation will accept applications up until the child’s 19th birthday. All required documentation must be delivered to the Sunshine Foundation office no later than their birthday. No documentation will be accepted after the child has turned 19.
NOTE: A diagnosis of LOW FUNCTIONING AUTISM will also need to meet the following criteria:
- Child is non-verbal
- Child exhibits disruptive behavior
- child is self injurious
- Sunshine Foundation is unable to assist with doctor/medical bills or living expenses. We must also work with in certain financial limitations and permissible requests. You child’s medical and/or travel restrictions or other related or unrelated circumstances may also affect the dream we are able to provide.
Once we receive your referral and your request has been approved, we will contact the child’s family with account login information to complete the application online or mail their application directly to them within two weeks. If you have any questions please contact us at 215-396-4770.
Please be aware the Sunshine Foundation does have a 4 year waiting list that your child will be placed on if approved. The 4 years begins on your child’s date of approval. You can contact Sunshine Foundation’s PA Office at 800-767-1976 to check status of your child’s dream.
Please be sure to complete the box for “Your Name.” Anonymous referrals will not be honored. Thank you very much!